zulily is a retailer obsessed with bringing our customers something special every day. Unique products from up-and-coming brands are featured alongside favorites from top brands, including clothing, home decor, accessories, toys and gifts, giving customers something new to discover each morning at an incredible price. We are fast-paced, innovative and metric-driven, with a team passionate for delighting our customers. Whether you want to work with incredible product selection, develop smart marketing plans, help us in our pursuit of faster fulfillment, or do something else awesome in between, we have a place for you. With locations in Seattle, Reno, Columbus and Bethlehem, our team is excited to be changing the way people shop every day – and we are just getting started.
The Assistant Buyer position is a developmental role intended to prepare for an Associate Buyer position. ABs are responsible for supporting a Buyer through management of events, they will negotiate and build compelling product assortments. They are responsible for assisting their Buyer to exceed financial goals, ensuring their vendors are delivering quality product, and executing all events. The AB will also manage a small portion of the Buyer’s portfolio and Buyers will drive successful business through strategic partnerships and strong analytical skills. In the absence of the Buyer, the AB is responsible for running the buying office.
Our ideal AB is ambitious in nature, analytical, creative, comfortable working in cross-functional teams, and passionate about the retail industry.
- This position will be remote, employee must work remotely in the state of OH.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES/CORE ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Manage and execute events that will delight and exceed the expectations of our customers. Devise and execute creative solutions as issues arise to ensure successful event.
- Establish and maintain vendor relationships. Educate vendors on zulily practices and business model. Answer all vendor contacts in a timely manner and proactively resolve any issues that arise. Partner with vendor to obtain all information necessary to launch event
- Identify products and vendors for zulily site in assigned category. Under direction of the Buyer, develop, evaluate and negotiate terms (price, quantity, delivery/ payment terms) for new and existing products to maximize demand and margin. Identify and implement opportunities to increase demand and margin.
- Price products to optimize demand through evaluation of product cost, sell through and margin and other factors.
- Curate events by selecting product assortment and determining best presentation. Utilize data regarding past product and event performance to inform decisions regarding assortment.
- Audit event before going live to ensure accurate and compliant product selection.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to ensure successful post event process including holding vendor accountable for shipment timing and partnering with AP on timing payment.
- Use discretion and exercise independent judgment to drive the business.
- Plan events and drive vendor demand to achieve financial goal.
- Responsible for reviewing and auditing events to ensure product compliance with Copyright and Trademark laws.
- Develop and manage timelines to ensure event success. Work with vendors and internal stakeholders (creative, AP, Vendor ops) on timelines and hold buying team accountable for following them. Proactively reassess timelines to accommodate last minute changes to ensure successful event, positive vendor experience and maintain positive relationships with internal stakeholders. Leads the team through embodiment of zulily values, delegation and coaching teammates.
- Analyze item, category and event sales to follow trends and react accordingly based on performance. Incorporate assessment of customer feedto ensure quality standards to drive best experience for our members.
- Responsible for daily functions to ensure event success. Ensure Data Entry Specialists have completed all tasks necessary for event launch (comp shop, size charts, upload & match, pre audit)
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of work and experience preferred
- 2-3 years of retail or relevant sales experience preferred. Experience in a buying office required.
- Demonstrated understanding of merchandising and retail math
- Experience in ecommerce preferred
- Experience in analyzing reports and drawing conclusions/recommendations
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to differentiate between colors.
- Able to be self-sufficient and independently drive actions